Sign in to follow this  
George

Post Processing

I'm going to be starting work on a new section of my online photography workshop, and show folks the basics of post processing. I'll be using these forums for writing drafts, editing and proofing before publishing the final drafts on the website. This thread may get messy and look scruffy at times, but it's because I'll be constructing brand new tutorials.

*under construction*

A digital camera is a computer. A digital camera's sensor is photosensitive and it records light photons which are collected in the photosites, and there is one photosite for each pixel. When light hits the sensor, a tiny electrical charge is produced. The brighter the light, the more photons are collected, and consequently a higher electrical charge is generated. The sensor is a solid-state device, a piece of computer hardware that captures light and converts what you see into an image. Think of your camera's sensor as the electronic equivalent of film.

If you shoot RAW you will have to process the image and turn it into a jpg before you can use it. If you’re only interested in sharing your photos with family and friends, forget about RAWs as you don’t need them. Learn more about some of the features on your camera instead to improve the quality of your jpgs. Additionally, most modern digital cameras have effects you can apply to your jpgs in camera, everything from black and white treatments to special effects to high dynamic range photos (HDR). The dynamic ranges of some cameras are now so good that there is enough information in the highlights and shadows of RAW files for your camera to produce well exposed images without the need for you to process RAWs separately.