Liz

Swallow babies..

Good evening...from the "bairns"

I have never really been "into" birds. These guys have nested for years in my various sheds at house. But I feel quite maternal towards these guys. 

:love2:

20180716_155248.jpg

20180717_182612.jpg

20180717_182735.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, be warned, photography changes the way you see things, and it changes your perceptions of animals and birds.

• Like 1

Animals and birds have never been a problem for me. When I was growing up we had, at one point, 14 animals in my house..including budgies! Have always had animals. Hamsters were my favourite lol. 

My brother is a retired vet. I helped him when I was a teenager to do operations on animals etc in the vet practice he was in. I have lived on a croft for over 33 years. Many a sheep I have lambed and cows I have seen calving. Wonderful stuff...not to mention Nibbles and Seb.. my long lost loveable pet male lambs...to name a few...who stayed here forever. Along with a cow or two. 

As for birds....must find my photos of.."Quallie"..yes a Quail. My dear, fabulous mad sodding little ratbag.. quail. He was found along the field road. Unable to fly. An escapee. We had him for over 4years. Had a magical life. Loved the dogs and growled at the hoover!!  Described as shy, retiring birds...crap!!..little monsters lol. I loved him to bits. Cried for days when he died. Had the run of the house! 

Must find photos of Quaillie..lying in front of roasting fire asleep with wings all fluffed up..those were the days :love2:

• Like 2

I'm desperately trying to find video of him calling in the kitchen! He used to sit outside with me in the sun at the back door. He pottered about outside, and although he could fly, he liked it here. The last spring he was with me he was sitting outside with me with an old dog and a pet lamb! He loved chattering to himself in his reflection on metal bin. He attacked the dogs and slept on them! He was a nutter!!!! I loved him dearly. Was a great pal and fab company. Will never be forgotten. Will find photos for you George.

• Like 1

Came home from Brora at lunchtime and there seemed to be a bird party going on in my shed and outside. About 15 swallows flying in and out shed. Having a great time. Only one in the nest. Empty at 5pm.

Took this just now. They are perched around the shed and settling for the night back in nest. This one was home alone in nest. Great photo..even if I do say so myself.

20180719_184533.jpg

Edited by Liz
  • Like 1

Eye in clear focus, that's the most basic element of a good wildlife photo. Catch light in the eye is the second most basic element of a good wildlife photo. You nailed both of them in this shot. Won't be long before they're gone.

:hello:

• Like 1

:thanks2:

Very difficult to do when I'm balanced on top of ladder facing the wrong way lol. Quite pleased with it though. Haven't checked on them today yet. Can be quite dark. There is a light but it's right beside them and I don't want to use the flash incase it frightens them.